Thursday, January 19, 2012

Procrastination...friend or enemy?

I admit it, I'm a world class procrastinator. I don't know how I can be both a type A- personality (that's a story in and of itself) and a procrastinator at the same time, but I am. I can trace my history as a procrastinator back to junior high in Mrs. Matthews' English class where our assignment was to watch the mini-series Roots and write what would essentially be my very first term paper. I can remember actually writing a rough draft two days before the paper was due and then finishing up the final draft the day it was due. From that point on I began honing my craft as the current world class procrastinator that I am today.

Academically, last minute preparation served me well through high school, two associate degrees, a bachelors degree, a masters degree and the second masters and PhD that I was working on before I became too ill to carry on. Granted a lot of what got me through as well was my bipolar disorder...as long as I was on the manic end of the spectrum. Procrastination did alright by me in the work setting when it came to paperwork and such. Of course, in the process of patient care procrastination was something I could not afford!

Now that I am unable to work, I find myself spending a lot of time at home and putting off stuff around that house that should be getting done on a pretty regular basis. I'm so not the housewife type...I didn't grow up learning to cook, clean, organize, etc. I'll start something but not necessarily finish it. Or I may never start what I want to start. For instance, I leave for California in 7 days...I have yet to do laundry and start packing. You'd think that that's no big deal, but it's my very first half marathon...I really don't want to forget anything, so I should be packing and re-checking everything already.

I should have added to my 2012 to stop being a procrastinator, but I would have already failed at that!! So, as of tomorrow I stop procrastinating...at least when it comes to prepping for California! Baby steps, baby steps...maybe one day I'll actually stop procrastinating for good.


100 Days Challenge:
  • Day 19: 1.9 mile walk with the big grand pup in 36:48
What I Ate Today:
  • 12 oz non-fat, lactose free milk
  • 10 oz Swedish meatballs
  • 1½ cups mashed potatoes
  • ½ cup mixed vegetables
  • 40 oz G2
  • 1 3/4 cup rosemary potato soup
  • 2 oranges
  • 8 chocolate chip cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment