Sunday, January 8, 2012

I CAN run (mostly) a half marathon!

Today I did something that I would have thought a year ago would be impossible. I finished a half marathon length long run/walk...that's 13.1 miles. For someone who has, throughout life, avoided running as much as possible I see this as a great accomplishment. Now, I'm by no means fast. My pace was about 13:30 minutes per mile and it took me 2:59:03 to finish the run. But like the image below says:


I broke with the training schedule which called for a 10 mile run which was supposed to be the longest run during training, but I just needed to know that I could run a half marathon. Now that I've done it, a lot of the anxiety of wondering whether or not I could do it has melted away. I know that if I've done it once, I can do it again and during the race that self talk that "you've done it before!" can really mean something. 

Now that I know that I can do the distance, I counting on two things to make my time faster. First, the fact that I'll be running at an elevation of 147' rather than my normal 4,300'. That elevation change was a big help when I ran my first 10K in Big Sur, California back in October. Secondly, the adrenaline rush of a big race. By no means am I out there to place...lol! That would take a miracle!! :) But even when I volunteered at the Nike Women's Marathon in November, I could feel the adrenaline push...and I wasn't even running. In the majority of my races so far my times have improved into the 11-12 minute mile range (my  normal training is 13-14 minute miles), so I'm hoping that trend will continue.

I think that it'll help that I'll actually be able to look for the husband and a friend from high school (whom I haven't seen since graduation 30 years ago) cheering for me on the course. The fact that I won't be so "alone" in running in that I'll be running with Team in Training and a wonderful group of ladies from the Tinkerbell Half Marathon Facebook page. I may possibly be alone running at times, but that's okay, been there done that as long as I don't give up!

What are my biggest fears between now and the race? Injury. You can bet that I'm going to take care of myself and not push too hard. I'm on the taper end of training so the runs will be getting shorter. I'm going to avoid anything that has triggered pain in the past and I'm going to do my stretches and exercises to keep strong. I'll be damned if I end up not participating due to injury...I'll crawl if I have to!! lol!

So, here's to happy running until and throughout the Tinkerbell HM!! Hoorah!! :D

100 Days Challenge:
  • Day 8: 13.3 mile run in 2:59:03
What I Ate Today: 
  • 1 slice whole wheat toast with 1 Tbsp Skippy Super Chunk peanut butter
  • ½  banana
  • 8 oz warm water with 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • ½ pack of Power Bar Energy Gel - Chocolate (YUCK!! Gag me!! Threw it and another unused one away!)
  • 1 full Clif Shot Bloks - Tropical Punch (Eh. Too rubbery when it's cold out. Will use only in warm weather from now on.)
  • 6 oz water
  • 6 oz G2
  • 2 fried eggs
  • 1 regular sausage patty (Half a monster patty that I burned beyond recognition!)
  • 15 pcs Pork & Shrimp Wontons
  • 12 oz lowfat chocolate milk
  • 1 3/4 cups Texas style beef chili (It's that kind of weather!)
  • 2 Tbsps Fiesta blend shredded cheese
  • ~1 ½ c Tostitos Scoops
  • 24 oz non-fat, lactose free milk
  • 6 chocolate chip cookies


No comments:

Post a Comment