Friday, January 27, 2012

Tinkerbell Thinking

NOTE: Written as I was sitting on my flight from Albuquerque to Denver this morning.

Well, here I am, on board my first flight headed back to California but this time it’s not the my hometown in the San Francisco Bay Area that I’m headed to. Instead I’m headed to Southern California to the home of Mickey and Minnie Mouse…and Tinkerbell! My goal this time is to complete my first half marathon, the inaugural Tinkerbell Half Marathon, with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training. Since August 6th I’ve been learning and reading and experiencing running in such a way that I’ve never experienced in my life. For as long as I can remember I have had a dislike of anything requiring an extended amount of running. Only while I was in basic training at Lackland AFB did I actually enjoy running and I think it was just because we ran in formation and the group basically pushed you to keep up.

In less than 43 hours I will be making my 2nd attempt at running 13+ miles. I did a practice run of 13.3 miles, much to the chagrin of my TNT coach, just to prove to myself that I could do it. Now, when I say “run” please know that I actually mean more of a run/walk/run situation. Right now my max distance while running is only about 1½ miles…on a good day. More times than not I run about ½ to 1 mile at a time before walking.

As I continue on this journey of my first run with TNT I ask that you remember those who have had to struggle and/or succumbed to the various forms of leukemia, lymphoma and myelodysplastic disorders. It is for those who can’t run due to illness that I run. It is for all cancer patients living and those no longer with us for whom I run. It is to do something for those who might similar or better actions once they get some relief from cancer. 

To all my TNT teammate, all of whom I have not yet met and some that I’ll meet this weekend…GO TEAM!!

100 Days Challenge:
  • Brisk 2.39 mile walk back to the hotel from dinner

 What I Ate Today:
  • 1 whole wheat Bagel Thin
  • 2 Tbsp cream cheese
  • 12 oz non-fat, lactose free milk
  • 20 oz G2
  • 3 slices French toast (IHOP)
  • 4 sausage links
  • 32 oz hot chocolate
  • 24 oz orange juice
  • ½ Tbsp butter
  • 50 oz water
  • Hawaiian BBQ mixed plate (beef, beef short ribs, chicken, white rice, macaroni salad)
  • 3/4 Spam masubi


No comments:

Post a Comment