Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Yet another injury

My streak for running related injuries has not let up yet. When I went on my long run (8.6 miles...longest to date) last Saturday I somehow managed to sprain my left great toe. The technical term for this is metatarsalphalangeal joint sprain...the not so technical term is "turf toe." I guess that as I got tired I started toeing off rather aggressively causing a hyperextension of the toe and resulting in the sprain. It definitely hurts to put any pressure on it when I walk, but oddly enough there's no pain when I apply pressure to the area manually. I'm taking this as a good sign that it's not a severe sprain. From what I've read this injury typically takes 2-4 weeks to resolve, but I don't have that long to let it rest. So...I've learned how to tape it to minimize flexion in both directions and hopefully it'll help me to remember not to toe off so aggressively when I run/walk. My foot will be taped up for much of the next 2 weeks minimum. Here's to healing...even if I have to train through some pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment