Sunday, December 11, 2011

Race shirt collection addition - Farolito 5K

I think one of the reasons runners do races is to collect the t-shirts that are given out at most races. It's not like I need more t-shirts, truly...I have plenty but the race shirts are just one of the perks of racing running. So tonight I collected another shirt at the Farolito 5K in Albuquerque. This was our first night run and I did learn a lesson...never assume that a night run course will be well lit. The course was primarily on the campus of a community college, the Southwest Indian Polytechnic Institute (SIPI), and there were quite a few speed bumps that we had to go over. While they tried to mark them with two luminarias when there's a bunch of people in front of you it's near impossible to see those markers. Next time I do a night race (which should be the WDW Wine & Dine in Sept/Oct 2012) I'm going to have my Knuckle Lights to light my way. Then again, if it's on Disney property I'm guessing that the course will be well lighted, although it won't hurt to be prepared.

As it was at least I was dressed appropriately. There was no way that an oncoming vehicle (and there were a few) couldn't see me with my HiViz pink Saucony jacket and it's reflective detailing. Even my gloves and beanie have reflective detailing on them. It looks like I was dressed really, really warm but with the temps in the low 30's all I was wearing was a long sleeve technical shirt, the jacket (windproof/water resistant & lightweight), cold weather tights and lightweight gloves. Before we started running I was definitely a bit chilly, but once we began to run I warmed up quickly and by the start of mile three I was almost ready to take of the jacket, but I had the race bib pinned to the front so it stayed on.

So, this is the final race for 2011. My first race of 2012 will be the the inaugural Tinkerbell Half Marathon on January 29th. I'm crossing my fingers that since I had no pain tonight, that hopefully I'll have little to no pain between now and then. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment