Monday, November 7, 2011

Medically speaking...

Dread...I hate feeling like this -

After a terrible 7.2 mile run on Sunday I'm at the point of dreading the pain that I've come to expect on my runs. I have an appointment next Tuesday for my first evaluation by physical therapy for hip and knee pain (iliotibial band syndrome or ITBS) that may be directly linked to a leg length discrepancy (LLS) that was noted last week on visual inspection. My left leg appears to be up to a ½" shorter than my right and may explain the cause of pain in my left hip. I'm hoping that they can figure out what's going on so that I can get back on track and get that great feeling of accomplishing a run. It's been a couple of weeks now since I've had a good run and I miss it. "Good," "run," "miss"...three words I never would have ever thought I'd use in the same sentence!

Haven't been spinning lately -

Not spinning as in cycling (although I haven't done that for months as well), but no issues with vertigo since the end of May when I had my last major episode. Tomorrow I have an MRI of the brain scheduled just to make sure I don't have an acoustic neuroma which may be a possible cause of the dizziness. I'm beginning to think that it may be related to the Seroquel that I was (and still should be) taking. If I never have another vertigo attack I'll be more than happy.

Bipolarity vs stability -

Well, as I mentioned I should be taking meds...a lot of meds...for my bipolar disorder. I actually stopped taking them shortly after I began running because I felt so good...not manicky but just good. I've tried to start them up again a few times, but they just made me feel so sluggish that I gave up. I've avoided going to my psychiatrist because what good would it do anyway? I'm not taking any meds so no labs to be done, I'm not having any mood swings (yet...although I know that I should be because fall, winter AND spring are the worst times of year for me), so why bother? Ahhh...yes, nurses do make the worst patients. At least I'm still seeing my therapist. I guess I'll have to try to start up again, but I'm really hesitant to because I don't want to affect my training...even though it's already being affected by the ITBS. Oh, the joys of being unwell. Whatever.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment