Thursday, February 9, 2012

My addiction(s)

What's your addiction? I first figured out that I had addictive personality back in the early 80's after I had been in the USAF for a year or so and found myself partaking in the alcoholic beverages on the weekends more than I care to admit. The fact that I was still underage didn't help...unless I was on base where I could legally buy beer. I basically quit drinking totally in 1984 when I found out that I was pregnant. Since then I've been very tipsy once and other than that have had maybe 8 glasses of wine and 2 glasses of champagne total. Luckily, I was able to nip things in the bud before it really became any kind of major problem.

My other addictions, at least until recently have included collecting shoes, purses, Italian charms, Tupperware, Pampered Chef and Calphalon cookware that I didn't really need. Since I've started exercising again beginning in May/June of 2011 I've become addicted to Zumba...which I'm having to give up for now. When I started running in July/August I never would have thought that I would ever become addicted to running races! This is really the least likely of addictions that I could have ever expected.

Why do I say that I'm addicted to running? The fact that having just run my first half marathon, I've gone ahead and scheduled almost monthly half marathon races since returning from my first in Disneyland not even 2 weeks ago. Since I started running I've either started planning trips around races or looked for running routes in areas that I am visiting. I'm on several running themed Facebook groups and when a new race pops up one of the first questions in my mind is, "Wow, that race looks cool. I wonder how I can swing that trip/race?" At least I'm not alone in this addiction! Many of my Facebook running friends admit that they have similar behaviors. There's been many a night that we'll end up posting almost endlessly about a particular race looking to share expenses, where to stay, what the race bling (finisher's medals) looks like, etc. We tease each other with "Yes, go ahead and sign up...you know you want to!" Or giving reports on how well or how badly a race went/was organized.

Other than the cost of this addiction (race fees can range from $15 to $150) plus travel and lodging if needed, this is a healthy addiction...at least that's the way I see it! So, in honor of this addiction here's a little prayer that I wrote last night after a couple of us were working on how to swing adding another trip to Disneyland, in the most cost effective manner, for the Disneyland Half Marathon to be held during Labor Day weekend.

The Newly Addicted Runner's Prayer

Dear running gods...
Especially those dealing with newly addicted runners. 
Please provide me with the prudent judgement to make wise choices in adjusting my 2012 race schedule...
Yet again. 
Allow me to choose races that I can both afford and finish 
And let me not get sucked into the whirlpool of mania and addictive behavior that I'm known for at times. Amen

100 Days Challenge:
  • Day 40
    • 10.44 mile run in 2:20:12
What I Ate Today:
  • 40 oz G2
  • 1 whole wheat Bagel Thin
  • 1 Tbsp reduced fat peanut butter
  • 12 oz low fat chocolate milk
  • 4 - 3" hot dog sliders with ketchup/mustard
  • 1½ cups battered french fries
  • 24 oz Sprite
  • 1 Clif energy gel - Chocolate
  • 1/3 of leftover baked potato from last night
Alkalete Review Day 3:
Just a brief note today. Feeling okay, no major changes and still feeling fairly tired. Didn't actually take a nap bur probably should have. Took a dose immediately before after my run, no significant change noted...feet still a tad  tender post run almost 12 hours since last dose. Not really feeling anything significantly changed. I have a 12-13 mile run set for Saturday, we'll see what happens then.

No comments:

Post a Comment