Saturday, November 9, 2013

Race Recap: Alien Half - The start of a long week of racing

Race #1: Alien Half Marathon/Area 13.1
Date: Saturday, September 14, 2013 @  7pm
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Saturday, September 14, 2013: Travel & Race Day

This was going to be a long day...I took off from home at around 8am. I was heading for Colorado Springs to take part in a half marathon that night. Now, that was kind of dumb...driving all day to run at night but I have done worse. This trip was just after the flooding in Colorado. I was worried that I'd get caught up in a storm but luckily enough that didn't happen until I was already in Colorado Springs. By the time I hit the hotel, a big thunderstorm arrived and was flooding the area. After bringing my rain soaked bags up to my room, I headed to packet pickup.

The rain had stopped by the time I got to the fairgrounds but you could see it continuing in other parts of the city plus more clouds heading towards us. The big question was whether or not the race would go on. The staff seemed pretty confident that the weather forecast would hold but they also said they'd make an announcement/decision by 6pm (race started at 7pm). So, after picking up my packet I headed back to the hotel to try to get a little bit of a nap.

I returned to the fairgrounds where the race was starting/finishing. As we waited inside the main building it was lightly raining outside. The staff made an announcement that the start would be delayed by 15 minutes due to lightning. While I was waiting, I noticed a bunch of other chicks wearing SparkleSkirts as well. If you don't know the skirts I'm talking about read this. I mad polite chit chat with some of them and then it was time to start.

We started off doing a full lap around the fairground buildings we then followed a paved trail out for about 4-5 miles before turning around and coming back the way we came. We again went out on a loop around the buildings and then a 5K out and back along the same trail before crossing the finish line. During the race another Sparkle Skirt enthusiast, I think her name was Laurie, ran with me as we were going about the same pace. We chatted and it was nice to have company for a change since I usually train and run by myself.

After the race I got my medal and then headed directly to the hotel. I think I pretty much crashed as soon as my head hit the pillow. Tomorrow was going to be another crazy day of driving to get to Bowman, North Dakota for the first of 5 races in a row.

Finishing Time: 3:15:28


What did I like about this race?
Nice, smallish race. No traffic. Cute medal. Need to be sure to bring some extra lighting as some areas are fairly dark.

What did I not like about this race?
Nothing I can think of.

Would I do this race again?
Yes, but not until I mark off all 50 states as having done a half marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment